Sunday, March 16, 2014

C4T #2

I had the opportunity to read Jennifer Brokofsky's blog for my C4T assignment. She is an instruction Consultant with Saskatoon public schools. Her blog post was titled "Three Act Math Movies Candy Colours". Jennifer Brokosky talks about the math concept of equality in her blog post.The lesson was created for 2nd to 4th graders. She starts out by providing possible curriculum connections. She states the grade levels and standards of what they need to know about this concept. Then she provides videos with the problem and solution to help understand the material. The videos are real life scenarios. The first video is about about how to divide up skittles equally among two people. The kids in the video only like certain colors though. They demonstrate the concept of equality by working together and finding a solution. Children develop math skills by watching and doing hands on work. That is exactly what is going on in these videos. They can practice many math applications while doing this. She also writes the process of each step and walks the reader through the material. She also lists key questions the reader should be thinking of during and after the videos.

 Skittles


My comment to Jennifer Brokofsky was Hi my name is Brittany Sparks. I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama. The course I am enrolled in is called EDM 310. It involves learning about the tools and uses of technology for our future classrooms. This week I had to comment and summarize one of your blog post. I read your blog post "Three Act Math Movies Candy Colours. I really like the hands on parts of your videos for teaching math. The students seemed to get really interested when the activities had something to do with real life situations. I really enjoyed reading your blog post!

The second blog from Jennifer Brokofsky that I viewed was titled "Building a Culture of Wonder: Inquiry in Primary Education" From the moment children learn to talk their first questions start with Why? Why this? Why that? She says as teachers it is our duty to create a space and time for children to wonder. She shares with her readers how she keeps a culture of wonder in her classroom. First, she created the wonder wall.Jennifer Brokofsy says "The wonder wall is a place where group questions can be modeled, shared, and encouraged." This gives students the chance to answer questions and add more if they want. She also includes wonder of the week, wonder words, and a wonder centre. All of these ideas and activities encourage wonder in the classroom.

WonderWall


My comment was Hi my name is Brittany Sparks. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I was assigned to comment on and summarize one of your blog post this week. I like how you used the wonder wall in your classroom. This will encourage students to ask questions and think more. I would like to use this in my classroom when I become a teacher. This idea is different from when I was in school. There was never a time for us to sit and wonder and ask questions. This will give students an amazing experience. It will encourage students to have fun while learning. I really enjoyed reading your blog post!

C4T#2

No comments:

Post a Comment